In association with ABB, the 17th annual ABB LEAF Awards have been announced with Zaha Hadid Architects, ‘Port House’ in Antwerp, Belgium receiving the honor of ‘Overall Winner 2018’. Sir David Chipperfield was also honoured with the Lifetime Achievement of the year.
The ABB LEAF Awards are judged by some of the world’s leading experts, including Roland Bechmann at Wermer Sobek; Kai-Uwe Bergmann at BIG; Andrew Bromberg at Aedas; Sir Peter Cook at Crab Studio; Peter Cerno at Cerno Architekten and Alan Crawford at Crawford Partnership.
A full list of the judges can be found here. The awards are highly regarded and included Best Tall Building Project Aedas, ‘The Beacon’ Hong Kong; Best Regenerative Impact IDOM ‘New Lecture Room Block’ Alioune Diop University, Bambey, Senegal; Best Façade Design & Engineering Zaha Hadid Architects, ‘520 West 28th’, New York, US, with Austria receiving two honors with INNOCAD Architecture, ‘Schaudepot History Museum’, Graz, Austria winning the Interior Design Award – Completed and Future and Best Commercial Building Award with INNOCAD Architecture, ‘CUBEND C&P Corporate Office’, Graz, Austria.
Commenting on the awards, Katrin Förster, International Key Account Manager for Architects and Interior Designers at ABB, said: “At ABB our vision is clear; we’re committed to combining stylish design with smart technology to make the spaces we live, work and relax in, the most comfortable and secure places they can be. Reviewing the 2018 shortlist just shows how much talent is out there, with people using their design skills to create memorable buildings for now and the future.” For details of all shortlisted entrants, please visit our website.
The ABB LEAF Awards 2018 Winners List
- Overall Winner Zaha Hadid Architects, ‘Port House’, Antwerp, Belgium
- Lifetime Achievement of the Year Sir David Chipperfield
- Best Tall Building Project Aedas, ‘The Beacon’, Hong Kong
- Best Regenerative Impact IDOM, ‘New Lecture Room Block’, Alioune Diop University, Bambey, Senegal
- Best Façade Design & Engineering Zaha Hadid Architects, ‘520 West 28th’, New York, US
- Residential Building – Single Occupancy Studio mk27, ‘Planar House’, São Paulo, Brazil
- Residential Building – Multiple Occupancy Studio mk27, ‘Somosaguas’, Madrid, Spain
- Interior Design Award – Completed and Future INNOCAD Architecture, ‘Schaudepot History Museum’, Graz, Austria
- Interior Design Award – Completed and Future – HIGHLY COMMENDED Spacedge Designs, ‘Hotel Mono’, Singapore
- Commercial Building INNOCAD Architecture, ‘CUBEND C&P Corporate Office’, Graz, Austria
- Hospitality Building – Completed and Future anySCALE, ‘Wuyuan Skywells Hotel’, Jiangxi, China
- Hospitality Building – Completed and Future – HIGHLY COMMENDED Yu Momoeda Architecture Office’Four Funeral Houses’, Kasuga, Japan
- Refurbishment Zaha Hadid Architects, ‘Port House’, Antwerp, Belgium
- Refurbishment – HIGHLY COMMENDED ARCHSTUDIO, ‘Twisting Courtyard’, Beijing, China
- Public Building West-line Studio, ‘Shui Cutural Centre’, Guizhou, China
- Best Achievement in Environmental Performance – Completed and Future Zaha Hadid Architects, ‘KAPSARC (King Abdullah Petroleum Studies and Research Centre)’, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
- Best Future Building – Under Construction and Drawing Board Margot Krasojević Architecture, ‘Self-Excavation Hurricane House’, Louisiana, US
- Urban Design Project – Completed and Future Urban Planning & Design Institute of Southeast University, ‘Living Corridor’, Suzhou, China
- Mixed Use Building West-line studio, ‘Guizhou Fire Station’, Guizhou, China