Total construction & real estate industry M&A deals in December 2019 worth $6.98bn were announced globally, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the code below into your website to display the chart.
The value marked a decrease of 60.5% over the previous month and a drop of 44.5% when compared with the last 12-month average, which stood at $12.59bn.
Comparing deals value in different regions of the globe, Asia-Pacific held the top position, with total announced deals in the period worth $3.95bn. At the country level, China topped the list in terms of deal value at $2.69bn.
In terms of volumes, Asia-Pacific emerged as the top region for construction & real estate industry M&A deals globally, followed by North America and then Europe.
The top country in terms of M&A deals activity in December 2019 was the US with 34 deals, followed by China with 22 and the UK with 14.
In 2019, as of the end of December 2019, construction & real estate M&A deals worth $149.9bn were announced globally, marking a decrease of 47.1% year on year.
Construction & real estate industry M&A deals in December 2019: Top deals
The top five construction & real estate industry M&A deals accounted for 46.05% of the overall value during December 2019.
The combined value of the top five construction & real estate M&A deals stood at $3.22bn, against the overall value of $6.98bn recorded for the month.
The top five construction & real estate industry deals of December 2019 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) Potter UK Bidco's $915.68m acquisition of Hansteen
2) The $688.5m acquisition of IC Ictas Construction / Astaldi JV by Anhui Expressway, China Merchants Expressway Network Technology Holdings, China Merchants Union (BVI), Jiangsu Expressway, Sichuan Expressway and Zhejiang Expressway
3) J Front Retailing's $600.74m acquisition of Parco
4) The $515.66m acquisition of Shanghai Xinhu Real Estate Development by Greentown Real Estate GroupLimited
5) Hubei Chutian Smart Communication and Hubei Transportation Investment Construction Group's acquisition of Hubei Daguangbei Expressway for $494.7m.
Verdict deals analysis methodology
This analysis considers only announced and completed deals from the GlobalData financial deals database and excludes all terminated and rumoured deals. Country and industry are defined according to the headquarters and dominant industry of the target firm. The term 'acquisition' refers to both completed deals and those in the bidding stage.
GlobalData tracks real-time data concerning all merger and acquisition, private equity/venture capital and asset transaction activity around the world from thousands of company websites and other reliable sources.
More in-depth reports and analysis on all reported deals are available for subscribers to GlobalData’s deals database.