Led by $3.4bn acquisition of Firestone Building ProductsLLC by LafargeHolcim, North America’s construction & real estate industry saw a rise of 18.50% in deal activity during Q1 2021, when compared to the last four-quarter average, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
- Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the image source into your website to display the chart.
A total of 245 deals worth $20.18bn were announced for the region during Q1 2021, against the last four-quarter average of 206.75 deals.
Of all the deal types, M&A saw most activity in Q1 2021 with 182 deals, representing a 74.3% share for the region.
In second place was venture financing with 33 deals, followed by private equity deals with 30 transactions, respectively capturing a 13.5% and 12.2% share of the overall deal activity for the quarter.
In terms of value of deals, M&A was the leading category in North America’s construction & real estate industry with $13.52bn, while private equity and venture financing deals totalled $6.14bn and $520.13m, respectively.
North America construction & real estate industry deals in Q1 2021: Top deals
The top five construction & real estate deals accounted for a 62.6% share of the overall value during Q1 2021.
The combined value of the top five deals stood at $12.63bn, against the overall value of $20.18bn recorded for the quarter.
The top five construction & real estate industry deals of Q1 2021 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) LafargeHolcim’s $3.4bn acquisition of Firestone Building ProductsLLC
2) The $2.74bn acquisition of Forterra by Quikrete Holdings
3) Slate Asset Management’s $2.33bn private equity deal with Annaly Capital Management
4) The $2.29bn acquisition deal with Columbia Property Trust by 8F Investment Partners, Arkhouse Partners and AS8888
5) EQT Partners’ private equity with Exeter Property Group for $1.87bn.