Construction company BAM has completed a new teaching and research facility for the Faculty of Engineering and Physical Sciences at the University of Leeds in the UK.
The project started four years ago with the focus now shifting to interiors fitting.
Named after the university’s former professor Sir William Henry Bragg, the new building will combine the School of Physics and Astronomy and the School of Computing, creating an engineering and physical sciences hub on the campus’ north-east corner.
The Bragg building has been designed to avoid interference of vibration from passing traffic with ultra-sensitive laboratory instruments.
The building also has a basement, which will be home to the Wolfson Imaging facility, as well as sensitive equipment, including advanced electron microscope technology for fabricating and investigating new materials.
Bragg Centre for Materials Research director and professor Edmund Linfield said: “The superb facilities in the Bragg building will allow us to engineer materials at the atomic and molecular scale and undertake internationally-leading science and engineering.
“It will also allow us to strengthen further our extensive interaction with academia and industry and build new research partnerships. It creates an exciting space for undergraduates to learn and for postgraduates to start their research careers.”
As part of the project, BAM retained the Portland stone façade of the grade two listed structure and remodelled the space behind it.
It also includes a walkway connecting a new seven-storey glass-and-steel complex with teaching rooms and laboratories.
The Sir William Henry Bragg Building received an excellent grading from the independent Building Research Establishment Environmental Assessment Method (BREEAM) for its sustainability and incorporates the old School of Mining, which was built in 1930.