Tilbury Douglas has commenced work on the first phase of a major refurbishment project to restore and reopen Old Library in Oldham, UK.
The refurbishment project is aimed at preserving and protecting the historic Old Library located on Union Street in Oldham Town Centre and bringing it back into public use.
Originally built in 1883, the Grade II listed building provided access for Oldham residents to a free public library.
To meet the growing town needs, the facility was also extended to provide gallery space as well as additional lecture theatre.
However, the public access to the building was stopped in 2017.
Secured through the Procure Partnerships Framework, the scheme is now led by Tilbury Douglas to restore the building.
The initial focus will be on the exterior of the building to prevent further deterioration.
The company stated that there will be high level demolition and replacement with a new structure to future proof the Old Library.
Additionally, the external façade will be cleaned using specialist treatments and the existing plaster moulds internally will be stored for future replication.
Tilbury Douglas North West divisional director Phil Shaw said: “Being able to transform such an historic and important site into a new cultural hub, which will add so much to the local community, is a real honour for the team working on this scheme.
“This is why we are focusing on ensuring the construction team also gives back to the local community through offering employment and learning opportunities inspiring the next generation of constructors.
“For example, the team recently delivered guest lectures on site management and behavioural safety to more than 100 Oldham College students, with similar initiatives planned over the next 18 months.”