The shortlisted candidates to design a £50m building for the Glasgow School of Art have been announced.
The seven candidates are:
- Benson & Forsyth (London, UK)
- Elder & Cannon (Glasgow, UK)
- Francisco Mangado Architects (Pamplona, Spain)
- Grafton Architects (Dublin, Ireland)
- Hopkins (London, UK)
- John McAslan & Partners with Nord Architects (London and Glasgow)
- Steven Holl Architects with JM Architects (New York and Glasgow).
The competition to redevelop the Garnethill site, opposite the world-famous Mackintosh building, drew over 150 teams including high-profile architects such as Zaha Hadid and Richard Rogers.
“This is a rich and varied list for an exceptional project. The selection was extremely careful. These were the names that had life-force, they kept appearing again and again during the deliberations,” said Malcolm Reading, who managed the GSA competition.
“What distinguished these teams was they had thought deeply about the context of the building and the needs of the client.”
Final designs will be submitted in July 2009 and the winner announced in September.
By staff writer.