Join Our Newsletter - Get important industry news and analysis sent to your inbox – sign up to our e-Newsletter here

UEL, Sahara to develop International India Centre in London’s Docklands

20 Feb 2013 (Last Updated February 20th, 2013 18:30)

The University of East London (UEL) and Sahara India Pariwar have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) to develop a new building in London’s Docklands.

London’s Docklands

The University of East London (UEL) and Sahara India Pariwar have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) to develop a new building in London’s Docklands.

As per the deal, UEL and Sahara India will work in partnership to invest, develop and manage the International India Centre (IIC), which will be located to the west of the university’s Docklands Campus.

Upon completion, IIC will become European HQ of Sahara India Pariwar and home to some of India’s leading businesses.

Around 70% of the building will be dedicated to office use, which will be used by Sahara, while the remaining 30% will be divided between university teaching space and cultural uses.

The university said it will complete a six month-long planning consultation before launching the competition to select an architect to design the IIC.

Construction on the IIC is expected to start in early 2014 and complete by the end of 2015.

UEL deputy vice-chancellor and chief operating officer Dusty Amroliwala said the development of the IIC will give a boost to the Docklands business community and skyline.

"Without question, the lure of Sahara setting up its European operation at UEL will attract some of India’s most elite students to our university, helping boost recruitment figures and bring inward investment into East London," Amroliwala said.

UEL said that the IIC will also play host to a programme of cultural activities to complement South Asia’s contribution to the UK.


Image: After completion, the International India Centre will become European HQ of Sahara India Pariwar. Photo: University of East London.